In Sprint Cup Series competition the #66 car has started 695 races and has 1 win, 5 poles, 11 top 5s, 59 top 10s, and 280 DNFs.
- Jeff Green has the most starts in car #66 with 68 between the 2006 & 2007 seasons. Green drove the car for Haas CNC racing (prior to the formation of Stewart-Haas), which had been fielding the #0 NetZero/Best Buy car. For the 2006 season the car was renumbered to 66 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Best Buy. Green would be released from his contract with 4 races left in the 2007 season.
- From 1980-1982 & 1991 Lake Speed started car #66 in a total of 58 races. Speed, a former national go-kart champion, was considering a career in formula 1 or CART, but promoter Humpy Wheeler convinced him to try NASCAR. Speed purchase a car, numbered it 66, and hit the track. Despite being fairly unfamiliar with the sport, Speed managed to score a handful of top-10 finishes during his 1980 rookie campaign.
Speed failed to qualify for the 1981 Daytona 500, but was able to lead every lap and win the Daytona consolation race, a 30 lap event for those who failed to qualify. After the 1982 Daytona 500, Speed would be hired to pilot the #17 car for Harnby Racing. Speed would return to the #66 when he drove it for Cale Yarborough in 1991.
- From 1983-1986 Phil Parsons drove the #66 car part time for Jackson Bros. racing. He started a total of 57 races in the number
- At the end of his long career Darrell Waltrip signed with Haas-Carter motorsports to drive the #66 Route-66 car. Waltrip failed to qualify seven times during that season with a new qualifying rule for the Past Champion’s Provisional. During his retirement year of 2000, Waltrip’s best run came at the Brickyard 400, where he qualified on the outside pole and finished eleventh. His final race came November 19, 2000, in the Napa 500, at the Atlanta Motor Speedway, where he posted a 34th-place finish. Waltrip started a total of 55 races from 1999-2000.
- Larry Frank scored his only career win at the 1962 Southern 500, where he drove car #66 to victory lane. It is also the only win for #66. Larry made a total of 15 starts in #66 in 1962.
- In 2016 Jordan Anderson drove the #66 in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series with 17 starts. A fan favorite (especially to those who frequent /r/nascar), Jordan started a “Fueled by Fans” campaign in the fall to help fund his racing endeavors. Many patrons and /r/nascar users contributed, and had their names featured on Anderson’s truck.
Due partly to sponorship woes, Anderson is not expected return to the #66 truck in 2017, but his “Fueled by Fans” Campaign lives on. To contribute, visit www.sponsorjordan.com
- Other notable names in #66
- Dave Blaney, 45 starts
- Todd Bodine, 40 starts
- Scott Riggs, 35 starts
- Dick Trickle, 33 starts
- Michael McDowell, 33 starts
- Jimmy Hensley, 22 starts
- Joe Nemechek, 14 starts
- Rick Mast, 13 starts
- Hermie Sadler, 9 starts
- Kevin Lepage, 7 starts
- Brett Moffitt, 7 starts
- Mike Wallace, 6 starts
- Michael Waltrip, 4 starts
- Josh Wise, 1 start
- Jason Leffler, 1 start