In NACAR Cup Series competition, the #51 has 533 total starts with 87 drivers, 2 wins, 4 poles, 22 top 5s, 59 top 10s, and 222 DNFs.
- Chevrolet: 361 races
- Oldsmobile: 76 races
- Ford: 41 races
- Dodge: 38 races
- Buick: 15 races
- Pontiac: 13 races
- Plymouth: 7 races
- Chrysler: 6 races
- Cadillac: 3 races
- Toyota: 3 races
- Justin Allgaier has the most starts in the number with 75 from 2013-2015. In 2016 Allgier moved to the XFINITY Series to drive the JRM #7 car. Clint Bowyer took over the HScott Motorsports ride, renumbered to #15.
- Gober Sosebee has 56 career starts in #51 from 1950-1955, including his only 2 career wins and the only 2 wins the number has at Hayloft Speedway and Central City Speedway
- In 1984 & 1985 Greg Sacks drove the #51 car, owned by his father. In 32 starts Sacks led 2 laps.
- Dub Simpson drove #51 in select races from 1969-1974 for a total of 31 starts.
- In 2012 Kurt Busch made a total of 29 starts for Pheonix racing.
- Stan Meserve drove #51 for 28 starts in 1968.
- Jeff Purvis has 25 starts in #51 from 1990-2001.
- In 2011 Landon Cassill drove #51 for 21 races in James Finch’s car.
- From 1962-1963 Bob Cooper made 17 starts in #51.
- AJ Foyt made 16 starts in #51 from 1977-1982
- No one else has more that 15 starts in #51. Regan Smith, Austin Dillon, Kyle Larson, Ryan Truex, Jacques Villeneuve, Brendan Gaughan, Mike Bliss, Michael McDowell, Bobby Labonte, Owen Kelly, AJ Allmendinger, David Reutimann, and Boris Said have all made at least 1 start in #51 from James Finch since 2011.
- In 1994 Neil Bonnett was scheduled to compete in at least 6 races for James Finch in #51, but after a practice crash in turn 4 before the Daytona 500 Bonnett was killed. 7 years later the same turn would claim the life of his his best friend, Dale Earnhardt.
- In 2017, Rick Ware Racing fielded car #51 for most of the schedule. Timmy Hill (9 starts) drove at the Daytona 500, and he shared the ride with Cody Ware (5 starts) and throughout the season. Josh Bilicki (2 starts) joined the team for the road course races, while Kyle Weatherman (2 races) , B. J. McLeod (8 races) and Ray Black Jr. (3 races) joined the team for races in the mid-to-late portions of the season.
On November 22, 2017, it was announced that Black would return to the 51 for a full 2018 season with a charter. The team did not disclose how they had acquired the charter. A second, part-time No. 52 car was announced with drivers Ware, McLeod, Weatherman and John Graham.
- Other notable names in #51:
- Stuart Kirby, 7 races.
- Kevin Lepage, 5 races.
- David Simko, 6 races.
- Tony Raines, 4 races.
- Fireball Roberts, 1 race.
- Michael Waltrip , 1 race.
- Speedy Thompson, 1 race.
- Hut Sticklin, 1 race.
In the XFINITY Series, #51 is driven by Jeremy Clements.
In the truck series, #51 is run by Kyle Busch Motorsport with several drivers, most notably Kyle Busch, Eric Jones, Aric Almirola, Daniel Suarez, Denny Hamlin, and Kurt Busch. The paint scheme and theme behind the KBM #51 is based off of the Rowdy Burns car from the movie “Days of Thunder.”