Light day today! Not a whole lot of people have driven #39.
In Sprint Cup Series competition the #39 car has started 422 races with 54 drivers and has 4 wins, 12 poles, 46 top 5s, 135 top 10s, and 142 DNFs.
- Ryan Newman has the most starts in #39 with 180 from 2009-2013. During his time as Stewart-Hass Racing, Newman scored 4 wins driving #39: once a year from 2010-2013. He made the Chase for the Sprint Cup in 2009, 2010, & 2013. In #39 Newman had a tendency to find trouble at Talladega . Newman is the only driver to ever win in #39.
- Raymon “Friday” Hassler drove #39 in 114 starts from 1967-1972 including 42 top 5 finishes. At the first 125 mile qualifying race for the 1972 Daytona 500 Friday was brutally killed in an accident started when David Ray Boggs cut a tire. He was 36.Warning: Graphic Content: Video of Friday’s crash and aftermath can be seen here. The video contains disturbing content that may be considered NSFW or NSFL.
- Blackie Wangerin started the #39 car 26 times between 1977-1984.
- From 2003-2005 Chip Ganassi fielded the #39 as an R&D car. Scott Pruett made 4 starts, David Stremme made 3 starts, Reed Sorenson made 1 start, and Bill Elliott drove the car in the 2005 Bud Shootout (Sprint Unlimited).
- Other notable names in #39
- LeeRoy Yarbrough, 7 starts
- Scott Lagasse, 2 starts
- Bob Welborn, 2 starts
- David Pearson, 1 start
- Jim Sauter, 1 start
- Rich Bickle, 1 start